Monday, May 5, 2008

May 5th -- The Shawnigan Ride

Wow... what an incredible day. This was a great ride thanks to Stephen and Vic. There's no denying that there is a true sense of protection in being the middle rider; and that sure does help me to relax. The other fantastic thing is that it gave me a constant clue, lines to follow in cornering, speed to maintain... it all goes so easily in this pampered spot.

We had to make our short ride on the highway to get to Ladysmith. Yeah, that's technically where I am living, but since I am not in town, I need to get onto the highway to get there. I can go to Nanaimo and all sorts of other wonderful locations, but I cannot get to Ladysmith. What a hoot.

I have to admit that those short highway rides are a real turn-on. I love the way the "Little Hussy" handles at that speed. I feel as though I'm completely one with her and it's so delicious to lean into the gentle curves of such a nice piece of road.

The back roads are beautiful, and the reduced speed gives me all kinds of practice looking around and trying to determine potential obstacles. I keep thinking "look for obstacles" and I try to list them as I go. After all, that road test that now takes 1 1/2 hours includes the question of obstacles... at least so I'm told.

We rode through Duncan, down to Maple Bay and Genoa Bay. There's a little road called Mays Road that sits hidden in a valley running parallel to the highway, chock full of curves and so beautifully hidden that you almost feel like you're alone in a beautiful past with just a few lovely farms and some livestock in an amazingly pastoral setting. But the real thrill was the ride around Shawnigan Lake.

And speaking of this quaint and beautiful spot on our island... we went to the gas station in Shawnigan Lake. Of course I ride with total concentration on potential obstacles, rider in front of me, etc. I notice the beautiful scenery when we're riding along, but when you have sudden traffic and stopping and turning into gas station parking lots... well, let's just say I wasn't exactly taking in the scene. And a scene is exactly what we rode into.

The gas station had a big American flag. We like them... provided, of course, that there's also a Canadian flag. This is Canada after all. Stephen was instantly peeved... "What the #$) is this, I mean, man this is Canada." And then we admitted that it seemed really weird. There's a van, upside down... on it's head... glass everywhere. And then Vic said: "I don't think this place is open today." And we begin to take a look around and see more car wrecks... a few more upside down and on their sides. What?

It was at that moment a fellow came over to tell us that we were in the middle of a film set. They're doing a series, something to do with a meteorite hitting, and 38 days of something or another. It was all rather exciting. Though it had me a little nervous about finding another gas station.

Anyway, we had a great run, and turned onto the highway at Mill Bay and rode back to our place to stop in and check on the dogs and have a munch before heading out again. We did that too, after an hour's rest, we were onto the highway and off to Costco. So goodbye to the short blasts and hello to longer highway rides. Vic's got lots of room in his saddle bags so we can pack quite a bit in, and it's so much more fun going shopping on the bikes. I'll have to save up for some saddle bags of my own. I do have a small confession to make here: I dropped my baby in the parking lot at Costco. Well, maybe dropped is a bit too strong a word, more like gently laid her down. Well, that's out of the way. They tell me everyone drops their bike at least once, and I've got it behind me. I made much too sharp a turn and had my front brake on too, and over she went and I knew I couldn't stop her, so I just held her and laid her down gently. I felt like such an idiot. But hey. I guess if it has to happen, it happened in a safe environment. It sure humbles you.

My wish list is growing with each ride: windscreen for the bike, saddle bags and a back bag, heated riding vest, pants, gloves (oh that would be soooo nice), leather pants and jacket. And it would be wonderful to put a pink and silver detail on that pretty black Hussy too. Ah, I love my bike.

3 comments:

Rita said...

What a wonderful day that must have been for all three of you. When I saw three of you leaving this morning, I felt a longing to ride along with you on my own bike. One only can know the joyfull free feeling when you have been riding a bike yourself. The rumbling sounds of those beautiful machines, just make my heart swell. Believe me if I were younger, I be on a bike by tonight. Enjoy your bikes to the fullest, lets hope the weather will co-operate.
And at all times take care.

Josee D said...

We were thinking that Stephen could have Katherine on his bike, Vic could have you, and I'll ride my own for a nice little ride when Katherine visits.... just a lovely ride around the Cedar Yellowpoint route. What do you think?

Rita said...

Oh that sounds wonderful, but we do need helmets. Ken and Brenda might be nice and lend us theirs. Hope so anyhow, and most of all, I hope the weather wil cooperate.