Sunday, May 25, 2008

May 24th -- Malahat Mountain Mixer


We couldn't get away for the whole weekend, but we managed a wonderful greet & meet afternoon and early evening. The MMM was held at the Osborne Bay Resort and Campground, overlooking the Georgia Strait as it narrows between Vancouver Island and Saltspring Island. It's incredibly beautiful! But the best part for me was meeting some of the women I've been talking to on our forums: Vancouver Island Lady Riders and the Women Who Ride.

The picture I've included here first, in front of my precious little Hussy, is of Willi, me and Jenn the Dragon! What a great couple of women, as terrific in person as they've been on the internet. Harley Davidsons were certainly in the majority at this event, but we also spotted some other really beautiful bikes. I couldn't help but think about Everett and his Virago when we spotted one of those with an incredibly pretty paint job.

Just check out the gold finish highlighting the chrome on this pretty baby. But there were many other gorgeous bikes, including a very gorgeous Yamaha, and plenty of delightful little HD Sportsters owned by some of the women.

Dinner was fantastic. We had a wonderful roast, three different salads, and buns and chili. There was quite a bit left over too, so some of the single guys took home doggie bags.

I've gotta say that it was pretty scary for me riding down into this campground... a long gravel driveway descending to a parking lot near the water. I slowed at the top of the hill, looked at it, felt like I was getting queasy and then thought: "just go for it girl." And that's what I did. Man, I was pumped, so proud... and so grateful that I didn't drop the Hussy.

We had such a great time, and thoroughly enjoyed Willi and Big Daddy. Sure want to get together with these friends again. Big Daddy (Bill) has quite a great mustache!

It was over too soon for me. However, I had a fantastic ride home. The sunset began as we hit the highway, and the colors were absolutely magnificent! I got to wear the chaps my friend Lynette loaned me and that made the ride feel even better... no cold wind blasting my knees! Yippee. I can hardly wait to get out again.

My next learning curve will involve an oil change on my bike.... I'll let ya know how it goes.

No comments: