Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Duncan Run -- May 7th

With so little time out from studio work, Pottery Store meetings, teaching occasionally at the Chemainus Native College, looking after home and property, pets and family... there's just not enough time in the day for what I'd really prefer to be doing now.

Well, we did ride to Duncan today. And, with the Old Chemainus Road all torn up, we used the highway. Gosh, I hate to admit this, but I do like the speed. Anyway, at the Honda dealer in Duncan I ordered a windscreen and mount for my bike. I'm hoping that will truly reduce the amount of buffeting that the wind causes, especially when I am being passed by big trucks on the highway. It will also reduce the impact of some of those bugs.

I'm still occasionally forgetting to turn on my gas... didn't have that with the Virago... it had lock position, but I don't remember a special knob for gas. Maybe they just had the gas on and didn't mention it to the students. I'll have to get a closer look at one of those Virago's again.

I have 3 classes to teach on the 8th, but perhaps I can manage a ride in the afternoon. Sadly, it looks like it's going to rain a lot in the next couple of days, so the bike will have to wait once that starts.

Received the RLAP V dvd from Donna and Jerry "Motorman" Palladino. Donna included a few riding exercises for the three of us. I'm thrilled with the dvd... the very first thing I learned in watching the first few minutes was how to pick up my bike if I drop it. Gosh, wish I'd seen the video before going to Costco and dropping the bike there the other day.

The forums, Women Who Ride, and Vancouver Island Lady Riders, have both given me such inspiration and encouragement. There are three women in particular who seem to be ready to give give give. I'm extremely thankful for Flo, Donna and Willi. I love being a member of these forums and hope I'll be an inspiration for other new riders along the way.

I've signed up to greet Flo when she arrives here sometime in June... possibly the 7th. There's a conga line riding along with Flo from Florida to Campbell River on Vancouver Island. The internet is responsible for this amazing and wonderful camaraderie and protection. Flo is buying her bike in Florida and riding it home... but she won't be alone very much at all. Women from coast to coast have signed on to meet her along the way and to offer her their homes for the night as she makes her way back to BC. What a wonderful and beautiful thing that is to me. I've found myself in a new community, and I am so very happy to be here. Yippeeeeeeeeee... I'm one of the women who ride.

1 comment:

Flo said...

Great blog Jossie.
Good on ya for getting the dvd's. Keep up the good work and I look forward to riding with you and the end of my journey.
Hugs...Flo