Wednesday, May 7, 2008

After School Ride After All

And I was so sad that I would not get a ride. But, when I got home, Stephen was there polishing his bike, so I suggested that we ride to Chemainus to meet Vic. That meant a quick highway blast into town, and then a turn onto the old highway that runs along the water's edge between Chemainus and Ladysmith. I actually had a moment of tension when we turned onto the old Chemainus Road and discovered that there was "single lane" traffic ahead and possible half-hour delays. It was rush hour and unbelievably busy and I knew I'd have to be very careful in that situation. But I was following Stephen, so I thought that would be simple enough.

He stayed on the single paved lane, narrowly riding the right edge even when the so-called single lane traffic turned into traffic coming from both directions. There wasn't a flag person to be seen anywhere either. I followed him, but when I saw that we were going to need to share this single lane with oncoming traffic... well, let's say the broken unpaved gravel road suddenly looked better to me and I moved over. So did all the traffic coming from behind me and so I was suddenly leading traffic. The car in front of me was following closely behind my son and staying on that single lane, until finally that car too had to move right. Thank goodness it wasn't as long a rough ride as I feared and the fact is that it boosted my confidence for having handled that so well. Once we got to the Pottery Store, Stephen and I agreed that we'd take the highway all the way home and avoid that mess again.

Now for the last exciting part of this. Vic and I rode to our friend, Ken's place, and that meant I needed to negotiate a long gravel driveway too. I enjoyed a brief visit, but then I had to go to my choir and that resulted in my first solo ride. I know it's just a short hop, but it was still the first time that I was on the road by myself. It was so wonderful. I know that's weird, but it gave me more confidence again.

I do have one crazy little problem that I have to remember and avoid. I have a tendency to start my bike, but forget to open the gas line. That means I get started and take off, and seconds later feel my bike dying. Oh well, it's taught me how to find that little knob and turn it as I'm riding... a good thing too, cause it means I'll be able to switch to reserve gas in a smooth fluid motion. Gosh the things you have to learn. I love my bike!

1 comment:

Rita said...

Oh my goodness, you take after your mother. Going solo to the choir. Good for you.
About the Old Chemainus rd, I know what your talking about, I got stuck on it last night,and I was in the car and hated it, so I can imagen, how you must have felt.