Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Skulling Friends

Oh how delicious... my friend Flo has decided to add some kind of skull to her beautiful bike. She and another of the forum friends were heading for the Woodgrove Mall where there's a belt boutique selling, among many other things, skulls... some with lots of rhinestones. I thought it would be a great opportunity to meet up with them, and since I was somehow expecting they'd get there by 11:30, I set off. I actually got there at 11:00, early as almost always. The ride in was delicious, though I sure felt a few blasts from the wind.


I headed off to Starbucks (still thanking Pat for giving me that gift card for my birthday), and then went to get some halibut liver oil pills for the dogs. I went into a couple of shoe stores until I found some red shoe polish for my riding boots. But then, out of things to keep me occupied, I went to the belt boutique. No sign of my friends. I told the guy working there that I was expecting to meet up with a couple of biker women, and to make sure he told them not to take off without me. I seemed to be hanging around a lot. I wondered into one store after another, but wasn't really in the mood. I even went into LaSenza and tried on a few new bras. In between I kept heading back to the boutique. I waited until 12:45 pm and finally decided I'd better get home and get some work done. I really felt bummed about not seeing Flo and Linda, but what could I do?


After working on the computer for a little while, and trying to rehearse some choir music, I got a call. Flo and Linda were in Ladysmith. Linda had decided to go into Bayview Framing and Prints, figuring the folks at this gallery might know us, and sure enough, we got a call. Within 10 minutes we got to town and headed for coffee in the Ladysmith Bakery. It's amazing how quickly you can blast into town on a bike. And this time Vic came along for the ride.


We sat in the coffee shop talking, and of course began to discuss Flo's Conga Ride. She just didn't seem to understand why we're all so into this. I explained that while her ride was happening, I'd think of her and say some prayers for her at bedtime, and then wake-up in the morning to race to my computer to see where she was or if there was any news of her. Linda said she'd done the same, and Vic admitted that her journey was constantly on his mind as well. We explained that she'd gone and done something most people only dream of doing. Every single person on our forums, and many of our male partners too, lived her journey with her. She proved that you can do something that seems outrageous and crazy to others, and she'd put her faith into the universe, and it had responded in spades. She found friends every step of the way, and we all became friends too. I can honestly say that I now have friends in practically every State, and I know if I show up and tell them who I am I will receive an open-armed welcome. She has been a magnificent inspiration to riders all over North America. She might have been the one picking up a bike in Florida and riding it up to Campbell River here on Vancouver Island, but we were all with her in spirit, and the love that we all sent must have gone a long way to making this a huge success. We cried when she cried, we laughed when she laughed... though Linda had to add: "But we didn't drop our bikes in sympathy with you."


Here we were, 4 bikers, all crying in the coffee shop, and Linda said: "Hey Jos, whatcha doin makin a tough biker bitch cry?" Ah yes, some tough bitch! We're full of love for all the riders involved in this.


When we left the coffee shop, we decided to take Linda and Flo on a nice little tour of Yellowpoint Road, and actually managed to ride to the Malaspina University cut-off with them before saying goodbye and seeing them off. Linda's home is in Port Alberni, and Flo lives in Campbell River. It sure was wonderful to lead them through my local riding territory. We agreed to get together again on the weekend. It's Stephen's birthday coming up, and we're going to make it a family event.


You'd think that was enough riding for one day, but I no sooner got home before it was time to head out to the Potluck with my womens' circle. What a treat to ride there on my Little Hussy. Sheila was really impressed with my blond hair and my leathers. Actually everyone loved the leathers! It was a hoot having to tie a jug with soup on the back of the Little Hussy. I had a freaky moment when I tried to park her where Connie suggested on a hill. I felt like she'd slide away, and soon decided to move her to a safer spot on a terrace behind a wall. She's too precious to lose! So yes, it turned out to be a day of riding for me. A glorious day with friends to boot!


Vic totally loved Linda's bike too, it's a Kawasaki Drifter, a purple one, with a gorgeous fender. It's sitting here next to his... he just had to have a picture of the two Kawi's side by each! I have to admit I love the way she has it decked out. She's been riding for about 27 years, so I'm hoping she'll teach me a thing or two before long.

No comments: