Thursday, June 12, 2008

June 12th -- Solo Ride to Stu"ate Lelum

I'd been waiting for the right weather to ride my bike to school. After all, the students knew I'd passed my MST, and I'd promised I would ride in when the weather permitted. My leathers were finally dry, the weather was clear, and I finally got my chance. My only complaint: the ride was far too short. The school is not all that far from our place, and I should have left a little earlier so that I could take a longer ride. That said, it was sheer joy to ride in. It was pure heaven to head out on the highway all by myself. And what can I say about the looks on the faces of the students in the parking lot! They came over to look at the bike. One of our bus drivers, Stan, was right there too. He saw me lock the wheel and asked: "don't you trust our students?" I had to laugh. I do actually trust them not to damage my bike, but I also know that there would be at least one who'd get on. I told Stan that locking my wheel is a habit. It was something that the training course I took with High Rides stressed. They warned us that it doesn't take very long to steal a bike, and that we should just make it a habit. That's no lie; I really do lock the wheel wherever I stop and park my bike. I also had the pleasure of seeing one of my students, Jerome, sitting on the bike within a few moments of my having parked it. Yep, locking the wheel is smart. I'd hate to see a teenager think he can roll the bike around for a little fun. And who could blame him? It's such a temptation.

It was fun to walk between the buildings and see my pretty little hussy sitting there waiting for me. One of the teachers, who also has a license, came to me at the end of a stressful afternoon and said: "I could do with a little therapy... any chance I could try out your bike?" I gave him the key with a sense of pride and pleasure. I also offered him my helmet, but he was just interested in getting the feel of it in the parking lot. He was back within a second: "the cops are here, and I think I'd better get that helmet after all." Despite the fact that it isn't actually illegal to ride in a private lot without a helmet, we did both agree that it didn't set a great example, and when he got the helmet on, he was also free to take the hussy out for a little bit more than just a parking lot run. He came back with a big grin on his face. Yep, she's a great bike.

At the end of the day, I had another short ride home... much too short! But it didn't end there. Before long Vic was also suited up and we made a quick run into Nanaimo for some supplies from Costco and Walmart. There was quite a lot of traffic on the highway and in town too, but my comfort level is so much greater that I'm not the least bit phased by that anymore. What a pleasure to be able to feel that great sense of freedom. I feel hugely blessed. I'm one lucky woman and it's sheer delight to get out on the road.

No comments: