Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Taylor Flats

July 13, 2008

Five of us managed a ride to the Taylor Flats on Sunday, and it sure was wonderful getting out there. I did forget to stop for fuel before we headed out though and I have to admit that I had a few moments of grave concern. I actually decided to put her on reserve when we made a brief stop. I figured we must be getting close to a gas station soon. Much to my amazement, the Little Hussy didn't even take $10 worth. I'm so confused about how the gas usage seems to fluctuate. I suppose it must depend on the kind of riding I've been doing, and perhaps on how much idling is involved. I can't count on knowing when to expect to re-fuel at this rate. I'll just make sure I stop whenever I'm getting close to having done about 110 miles or so.













Anyway, once the five of us got back to Port Alberni, we rode to Starbucks, totally looking forward to a coffee fix. But the guys were waiting and ready to burn up the road, so no coffee for us. We were late, and they were ready to roll. Off we went, this time riding the Port Alberni hump again on our way to Parksville. It was totally gorgeous out, but we went to Rathtrevor Beach only to discover that every single parking spot was absolutely full. We were quite a way from the Beach Hut by the time we decided to ride onto a bit of grass and park the bikes. Then, instead of walking over to the Hut for an icecream or something, we got talking and Flo, Judy and I decided to get on our bikes and make our way to Courtenay. We knew we were still in for a long ride anyway, because Flo and I would also still have to ride on to Campbell River. But the Courtenay thing was really important to me. I don't know it at all, and I knew I was going to be doing my test there on Tuesday the 15th.

On the way, Flo decided it was time for a few new pictures, and with the water behind us, we posed, sans helmets for each other. Judy looks so great in her red leathers on her wonderful red bike. Flo is becoming a true Skully Queen, and when I took my helmet off to face the worst flathead, she put her skull cap on me for a picture too.

We did a little touring around Courtenay, sort of trying to understand what I might be up against on my road test, and then went to Judy's for a little visit. She's got a great place with an incredible yard and beautiful landscaped pond feature. She's living in a retirement community, and is really an exciting member of the neighbourhood for being a biking woman! Once we left her it was time to head out to Campbell River. Man oh man, by the time we arrived, I was sore and actually exhausted. But instead of heading straight to Flo's house, she had me doing some more practicing in another parking lot. I love this friend, she's a relentless force and she's gonna make sure I get tons of practice! I am learning so much from her... but was I glad when Eric showed up at the same parking lot and we had a chance to finally quit. Off to the grocery store for steaks, and off to Flo's home to relax! And that's very easy to do at her place on her back deck, looking at Mount Washington. What a great view.

Eric made dinner, Flo and I got onto our forum, and well, the evening was fantastic!

No comments: