Friday, July 18, 2008

Port Alberni Practice Lot

July 17th

I rode to work on Wednesday, but there's nothing special to tell about that. Golly, just riding that kind of ride is no longer exciting, though it feels way better than having to get there in a cage. What was exciting all day long was the prospect of riding to Port Alberni together to do the RLAP practice session.

Wayne actually set up quite a wonderful lot, using pylons as well as paint on the lot next to the MultiPlex. Vic and I headed off for this ride about 5:15 and by the time we got there, quite a few of our riding friends were already hard at the practice.

I was pleased that I managed the slow cone weave... actually did quite well on it. Also managed the other cone weave, well at least in one direction. The second set seemed closer together to me, and to everyone else as well. I think Wayne's going to check it and see whether it is somehow different.

I tried the figure 8 again, and though I can make one of those, it sure isn't the one intended. I'm way wide of the mark. I suppose I just need to keep trying. It sure is harder than it looks. I'm not even going to attempt the corner maneuvering yet. That's just so darned difficult.

We had a quick stop with the PA bunch at Starbucks after it was all over, and then had to head home, hoping to make it before dark. I should have brought my cell phone with me, but went as lightly as possible. I don't know why I even worry about it. The examiner at the road test laughed at me for it when I said I wanted to be free of the after dark restriction, saying: "It's not dark until 10:00 pm, and even then, who is going to stop and ask you, you're a really good rider."

It was just a few minutes after 10:00 when we pulled into the driveway. Mom was freaked. I guess it seems darker in our backyard, but it wasn't at all dark riding on the roads. For one thing, we didn't just have street lighting, we had an incredibly full moon. Certainly nothing to worry about.

The road to Port Alberni is an absolutely wonderful ride and the people that we ride with there are among the best of the best. What a great bunch, and they're all working so hard on that practice lot. Flo had a rough go of it this evening. I think she's putting a ton of pressure on herself to do it perfectly, and the result is that she was struggling. But she has more guts and determination than anyone I know, and soon she'll be dancing that bike through these courses. Donna Palladino makes it look like the bike is walzing. It's great to watch her! I sure hope my skills develop to that level in the next couple of years.

No comments: