Friday, July 18, 2008

Campbell River to Nanaimo & Back Again


July 14, 2008

Four American guys that are touring Canada had contacted the forums to see if anyone wanted to ride with them. Grizz and a friend met them in Victoria. We'd originally planned a ride to Gold River, Vic, Michael, Flo and me. But when the posts about the 4 guys came, Flo felt that we Canadians should reciprocate the hospitality she'd been shown south of our own border.

Vic left Nanaimo, riding the slab (the fast highway) all the way to Campbell River. He called us from a gas station, and we rode out to meet him. Poor guy didn't even really get to finish his coffee before we hit the slab heading right back to Parksville. We'd heard from Grizz and now had plans to meet them there at the MacDonalds. Not exactly the ride Vic anticipated, and even while we were having lunch, he began to think about things that were waiting for him at the studio. More phonecalls with Grizz and we learned that they were just sitting down to lunch in Duncan. So we got on the bikes and rode to Nanaimo to Chapters to meet em there. Had a really nice coffee break and Vic decided to head back to the studio. I was kind of bummed at that, but did understand. He also understood Flo's need to return friendship to riders from California, so we waited. Flo and I both used the parking lot at Woodgrove Mall to good advantage, practising our u-turns. I actually managed to keep my turns within three parking spot distances and felt really good about my improvement.

When the guys arrived, we talked, took pictures and finally got under way. I told Flo I'd need to stop for fuel in Lantzville, but since she really didn't know where I meant, I ended up taking the lead for a little while. She took over again once I got my 94 octane at the PetroCan (the champagne of fuels for a motorcycle). And we took the ocean route all the way out to Campbell River. I couldn't believe how much it clouded over! Holy cadoodle, it got sooooo cold on that ride.

We got the boys to their gorgeous campsite, but they weren't interested in doing Gold River the same day. I think they just wanted to set up camp, and have a few drinks and dinner and get ready for their morning ride to Port Hardy. We tried to talk them into doing Gold River first, and Chris, one of the guys, really wanted to, but was outvoted. So we determined we'd do it ourselves first thing the next day.

No comments: