Thursday, July 24, 2008

Road Test Passed



July 22nd...

Well I headed off to Courtenay fairly early, not sure what kind of traffic I might be up against, but knowing I was to meet Flo at Courtenay Motor Sports (CMS) at 1:30, and my test was scheduled for 3:30, meaning I had to register at 3:15.

The ride up was delightful and I took the more relaxed ocean route for most of it. And so I actually got into town at 12:30. Time to stop, tank up with fuel (God forbid I should run out during the test cause that would be an automatic fail), and to have a bagel and coffee at Tim Horton's. I was still a little early, so I thought I would check out the leather shop, just a little way up from CMS. As I was looking at gloves there, who rides up? Flo... she was early too and spotted my bike. We stopped in at CMS and then headed into town for some practice. Flo thought I should do a few u-turns, and well, would you believe on my first attempt I actually dropped the bike. I was so freaked. She made me do about 12 more. I finally agreed that they weren't great, but they were more than good enough to pass the test and it was time to quit trying them. It made me feel sick that the one I had done on the previous test had been so perfect, and here I was struggling to make them smooth. Crikey.

We pulled into the access centre after I had some milk at the A+W just down the road from it. I felt I needed to settle my stomach. Nick spotted me fairly quickly and was really friendly and seemed glad to see me there. Before I knew it, I was miched and on my bike and off to do another test. We started out on a different route than the previous week, and before too long I was going up a hill and the lights turned yellow. I glanced in my rearview mirrors and decided to stop. It wasn't easy, but I managed to stop before the line. Phew.

On we went, me following directions, and yes, we did do the turning lane again. No problems there! Then my bike stalled at an intersection... oh my guts! I was freaked. But we carried on a little way and then he told me to park. I had a sick sensation at that point, but backed my bike into the 45 degree angle as if everything was fine, then turned her off expecting to get off, and suddenly I heard: "that's fine, just pull out again when you're ready." Wow, no needing to talk about hazards? I was so surprised. Off we went, and out onto the highway. By then we'd done the roundabout, done the slow speed playground areas, and I figured we were getting close to the end of the test. Sure enough... we headed toward Cliffe Avenue, and that's when I felt the dang earpiece slipping and couldn't make out for sure what Nick was telling me to do. I tried to shove it back and heard: "don't worry about it." Phew.

We were back at the Access Centre within a few more minutes, and Flo was there taping my arrival. And so was Judy, who gave me one heck of a great hug. What a relief, I not only passed, but got told I did a really good job. In fact, before it was over, Nick actually said: "excellent." I'm now official. I have achieved my class 6 status and all restrictions have been removed. Woooohooooo.

1 comment:

Jaliya said...

CONGRATS, JOS! Hit the road and fly, baby! BTW -- the photos of you -- you're looking more beautiful and radiant than ever!