Friday, April 25, 2008

April 12th -- Building Confidence

Nice weather today and I have the desire to learn, so off we go. Inside I realize that if things go the way I hope, I won't be making this a short 10 km ride. Sure enough, not longer after we head out, I feel myself becoming comfortable with my ride. I feel that I'm shifting gear more smoothly. I'm not looking down at my handlebar to find the signal switch or horn anymore. I know I never should have done that ever... but you do it at slow speeds, cause golly, how else will you learn where they are. But all that getting to know what is where... well, it leads to herky-jerky movements on a bike. Finding things by feel and instinct keeps things so much smoother. I found that I was looking where I had to go, and sure enough, the bike followed through. I found pleasure replacing the tense knot in my gut. I suddenly understood the joy of this ride. Woohoooo!

I signalled Vic that I wanted to take the lead...! Then I went right past our driveway and I knew he was thrilled. There's a lovely loupe through beautiful winding roads near our home. It's a quiet enough ride, not too much traffic ever. It's pretty, lots of bends and turns, and some stops along the way. In short, what a great place to improve your riding skills. We spent at least 35 to 40 minutes on this ride and I got the bike up to about 70 km... so felt very thrilled.

Yes, it was a fab ride. We did what I'd call the Cedar Road circuit first. But so much fun did I have, I had to do it again later that day, and went a little further, riding the Yellowpoint Road route back. Oh how lovely. I know the pleasure of the bike. I know that I'll be able to hone my skill and confidence with lots of practice and encouragement.

I'm thoroughly excited by the support from the forums. Yippee... I'm a biker!

No comments: