Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Little Hussy is on the Road

It was just a very short ride... but I got that bike on the road after school yesterday. My sweet Victor was here just waiting for me. He had changed the brake fluid and installed the new battery. I told him that I needed a coffee first. I wanted to chat about my afternoon... we sure had some shocking moments at school. Imagine kids smoking pot in front of the school sign. Imagine kids taking off from their co-op placement. Imagine attitude. Yes, these were some of the experiences I wanted to share before getting on that bike.

Then my sister called. She's a wonderful friend, but when we get to talking on the phone, more than minutes tick by. Golly, and we have so much to say to each other anyway. It was comical really, Vic was tying my boots for me, getting my riding leathers, helmet, gauntlets, actually dressing me for a ride while I talked on the phone. Who really wanted me out there?

I managed to get on my bike and ride up the road, wondering how much fuel was in my tank. I always set the tank to zero when I fill her up, and I've never managed to get beyond 130 miles on a tank (yep, miles, not kilometers... she's an American baby). Mileage was reading well over 160, so I knew it had been moved somehow and that meant I had no clue. As you might expect, I didn't get far before I could feel the bike losing power. I gave her a little more throttle and she picked up again for a moment or two... confusing me. Then she began to lose power again and I had that "oh, oh, I need to find the knob to switch to reserve" moment. That's easy to deal with when you're riding all the time, but on an inaugural, it's a bit of a panic. Found it quickly enough though (meaning before the bike came to a full stop), and switched, and though it took a moment for the fuel to power me up, my bike was soon responding and I was on my way to the gas station with a huge grin on my face.

I didn't stay out. I was tired. I just managed a quick detour out to the highway (you just know I wanted a little speed) before heading back home. But it was the 8th of April, and my first ride of this year... actually a full month later than last year's effort, proof that our spring has been slow to arrive.

Perhaps I'll blog more often this year, perhaps not. I just thought it would be nice to make note of this first ride and my sweet partner's efforts to get me out onto the road.

No comments: